REGRESSIVE ASSISTS INDEX : SWANSEA CITY 2019-20
|PLAYER||GOALS||1ST ASS||2ND ASS||ASSISTS||PTS||MINS||GPG||APG||PPG||GWG||PENS||PENS WON||DFK||SP|
|van der Hoorn||1||1||1||2||1350||0.07||0.07||0.13||1||1|
Regressive Assists represents a way to properly recognise which players are most often involved in goal-scoring plays.
The system awards an assist for each of the last two players to touch the ball or have significant involvement in an attacking play before a goal is scored. This includes recognising which players won set-pieces which resulted in goals.
- Player A passes to Player B who crosses for Player C to score. A and B each get an assist.
- A passes to B, who is then fouled, and C scores directly from the free kick. A and B each get an assist.
- A is fouled. B crosses the free-kick to C who scores. A and B each get an assist.
- A wins a corner. B takes it, and C scores with a header. A and B each get an assist.
- A squares the ball across the box. B executes a stepover which freezes the goalkeeper long enough for C to score. A and B each get an assist.
- A presses an opposition defender into playing a soft backpass, which B then runs on to and scores. A gets an assist.
- A plays the ball to B, who plays a one-two with C before scoring. Technically, the chain of assists is C (1st) then B (2nd), but because B scored, the model regresses one stage further to credit player A with the 2nd assist instead. This is done to avoid crediting a player (in this case player B) with both a goal and an assist on the same play, so that it will be possible to state how many goals each player has contributed to creating or scoring over the course of a season without duplication.*
Points are the sum of goals and assists, and therefore represent a players overall contribution to their teams goalscoring effort.
All the assists listed in the above table are based on the regressive model outlined above, and not the Opta model presently used by the major leagues.
- GPG = Goals Per Game (90 minutes)
- APG = Assist Per Game (90 minutes)
- PPG = Points Per Game (GPG+APG / 90 minutes)
- GWG* = Game Winning Goals (e.g. in a 2-1 victory, the second goal wins the game. In a 3-1 victory, the second goal still wins the game as the team would have won without scoring the third)
- PENS* = Goals scored from penalties
- PENS WON* = Penalty kicks won by a player being fouled in the box
- DFK* = Goals scored directly from free-kicks
- SP* = Goals scored from set-pieces, which includes corners, free kicks and throw-ins, but not penalties
* New for the 2019-20 season